[WriteLog] On-the-fly recording

Garry Shapiro garry at ni6t.com
Fri Sep 24 20:02:54 EDT 2004

Having no apparent recourse, I removed WL10.49 from my computer, and
reinstalled 10.42C--the last full version I had downloaded. Shift-Fx
recording appeared to work normally.

I then installed 10.44B--my previous upgrade, which had worked flawlessly
during an on-the-air practice . just before the SSB Sprint. Lo and behold,
attempts to use Shift-Fx demonstrated the same symptoms as with 10.49,
including the occasional appearance of the diagnostic window containing
"Invalid Access to Memory Location."   The appearance of the diagnostic
window suggests that the notification does not refer to the new SSB
memories, and that my problems, at least, may predate 10.48 or 10.49--or
that there is a resideual left from the deleted 10.49. I have no other idea
why this previously-OK upgrade now fails.

Having no choice, I then removed WL from my computer and re-reinstalled
10.42C.  My annual upgrade fee nothwithstanding, I do not plan any further
upgrades until there is a reason to do so--certainly not until after
CQP---and only if there is reasonable assurance that I will not have to blow
another day or two trying to get it working.

I am not a computer weenie, and life is too short to be spent on
troubleshooting purchased contest software. SP2 is installed under XP
Home--perhaps that is a factor. Perhaps the latest versions have a conflict
with something else on the computer--I just do not know, and little help has
been forthcoming.

Garry, NI6T

See you in the California QSO Party (CQP) Oct 2-3--IF WL works.