[WriteLog] Bored At 4am, or Timed Repeat CQ

M. Edward Wilborne III wilborne at mew3.com
Wed Sep 29 07:28:26 EDT 2004

> P.S. Don't you all need the Timed CQ to hold the frequency
>      while you go to the head?

You mean, you don't operate from the head?  LOL

Since I have a "puny" signal, I can't command a frequency for very long
anyway.

Here are other options for those of you who want to operate "all the time":

1) Using a wireless tablet computer (or even another laptop), make a "remote
desktop connection" to the computer at your station and continue to call CQ
and respond while "away" from your station.

2) If you have a properly configured firewall, and broadband connection to
the Internet, you can make remote desktop connections to your computer from
places like "work" or "wifi enabled restaurants" and operate your station
remotely.  This also makes demonstrating ham radio easier since you don't
have to drag your station and antenna system along with you :)  Point a
webcam at the station and you can simultaneously show observers that you're
really controlling a radio system remotely.

I've been meaning to do the second option, just to try it out and how it
works.  My only concern would be if the computer crashes and causes a
sustained keydown event.  So for the "real world" use of this configuration,
we would also need to be able remotely power off everything...  Telephone
controlled X-10 is a good way to do this and cheaper than using a remotely
accessible power switch over the Internet (which is also doable).

73!

Ed - AD4AX