[WriteLog] Peculiar Problem

DeN0RRG@aol.com DeN0RRG at aol.com
Thu Apr 21 09:47:56 EDT 2005

Hello Everyone,

I hope someone can explain a peculiar problem to me.  I use the latest
versions of DxBase, WriteLog and MMTTY on a vintage 1996 (Windows 98SE) 200Mhz
machine and everything works fine; however, with only 32Mb of Ram, programs run
slow, especially DxBase.

On a 2.5Ghz machine running Windows XP, WriteLog and MMTTY will completely
hang the machine requiring the computer to have to be unplugged from the wall
socket.  Just about any maneuver will hang the machine but accessing the help
tab and then clicking on a help topic will guarantee a hang up.  DxBase works
perfectly and fast.  I have made some contacts with both WriteLog and MMTTY with
the machine.

Last night I went thru a painful process (plugging and unplugging the
computer and rebooting) of going thru all the items in the msconfig.exe utility and
found the problem.  On the "Services" tab, if I uncheck "Plug and Play", the
programs do not hang the computer and I can access the help files in WriteLog
and MMTTY.  The down side is that the programs cannot access the sound card.

This is what I do not understand.  I thought "Plug and Play" was just for
installing new hardware and the associated drivers.  How can that affect clicking
on a help topic in a program and hanging up a computer?

As an aside, I began looking for more RAM for my old machine to help DxBase
run faster.  The machine can go up to 64mb of RAM and 512k of cache memory.  It
now has 32 and 256.  In doing an Internet search for memory for old machines
I was led to "The Antique Chip Collector's Page", www.antiquetech.com.  It
seems that everything imaginable is now a "collectable".  You may have valuable
antiques in your shacks now. Hamfests will now take on a new meaning for me as
I search for a valuable antique from an unsuspecting seller.

At any rate, sorry about the length of this email but appreciate any insight.

73,
Gary
N0RRG