[WriteLog] network issues--is Gab involved?

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Thu Dec 1 21:08:59 EST 2005

By design, the gab function on every station in the network remembers the
last gab message from every station in the network. When you connect to a
running network, you should, by design, see a series of gab messages, but no
more than the latest one from each station. So when it reconnects, it should
take at most a couple of seconds for the gab window to scroll through those
last ones, and then it should stop (assuming, of course, there are no new
ones being typed in by other operators). Can anyone confirm whether this
behavior is happening to the gab at reconnect?

Given the info I have so far, I doubt the code handling the gab has caused
the problems serious enough to force shutting down WL. However, I think the
bandmap networking code may be getting into a state that saturates the
network bandwidth/CPU. I have an update in the latest beta test that
addresses the possibility I see from the descriptions I have.

Wayne