[WriteLog] NETWORK INSTABILITY

Branislav Panak brano at panak.org
Tue Dec 6 14:37:26 EST 2005

I just wonder that problem with freq reading, which is in my opinion not
that important,
took focus from at least from my point of view much more important problem
which is
network instability of tpc/ip (not the former netbeui method) networking in
writelog. We tried several
times to run writelog in m/s environment and as we get above 1k qsos we
started to get network crashes
more often. After some more qsos in log we have to restart all computers in
network cca each hour. After some
complains there were wlog patches and updates which absolutelly did not
changed anything. We do not run large network,
7 pcs in  single room is imho small setup for m/s station. Our setup of
network is very clean. We have same HW on all pcs,
same OS, same settings etc. My opinion is that in present situation it is
absolutelly impossible to run serious contest
with more than 1k qsos with writelog logging software in network
environment. Based on this opinion we run last cq ww contest
with other logging sw. We experienced much better performance. Network was
stable, we have no network failure, we did not
have to reboot any single pc. We have to restart loggin sw 2-3 times at one
pc, which aparently have some hw problems.
So base on my experience with absolutelly the same setup competing logging
software performs much more stable and reliable then
writelog. Also the support of additional hw was much better (I mean microham
keyers ;0).
I do not want to blame writelog. Writelog was best contest logging sw few
years ago, but thanks to uncomparable poor support and
lack of new development it lost its position. I think that the problem are
getting worse and I am very surprised with aproach of
authors/sellers of wlog. But anyway, everybody can choose logging sw which
fullfill his expectations. I hope that this complains from
reflector will help writelog team to recognize real situation and improve
their performance in areas where they are not perfect.

73

Brano, OM2KW at OM8A