[WriteLog] Does WL or N1MM have any neat features the other

Alan Maenchen ad6e at inreach.com
Sun Dec 11 13:39:37 EST 2005

We used N1MM at the recent K7C expedition. Here's what I found:

In DXpedition mode N1MM worked just fine until the log started filling up.
Then the CW keying became flakey. It was a little different than the 'ol
Writelog stutter. Individual characters seemed to complete OK, but the
spacing between characters became erratic. Eventually, most of us gave up on
computer sent code and manually sent everything.

The SSB guys didn't get off without problems though. Just logging a QSO
would occasionally take an excessive amount of time. The op thinks he didn't
actually hit the enter key so he hits it again .. resulting in a double
entry in the log.  Or, since the last call was still in the entry window,
the op starts copying the next call concatinating with the previous call ..
causing all sorts of interesting comments by the op.

N1MM networking was almost perfect.  We had 7 computers networked and built
up one single log .. a copy of which was on each computer. HOWEVER, N1MM
would throw up an error message in your face whenever it couldn't see one of
the other networked computers due to some timeout. You have to grab the
mouse to clear it! Sometimes this happened so often and so fast the error
windows couldn't be cleared even with rapid fire clicking... while the
unruly pileup waits...  Several times we gave up and simply rebooted the
machine. This is a serious problem!

N1MM uses a standard dbf format for the log. This is the reason we chose
N1MM in the first place. MS Access can play with the log during the event
without bothering the operation. Plus one for N1MM!

N1MM has a fatal flaw in that it crashes (all networked computers crash at
the same time) when the log exceeds 32,000 QSOs. This isn't something that
is likely in SS, but in a DXpedition it happens.

We did not use a lot of the features. The Yak function worked fine. The
learning curve wasn't too steep.

I still use Writelog at home.

73, Al  AD6E