[WriteLog] Audio Boondoggle Continues

K6VVA dx35 at hilding.com
Tue Dec 20 00:04:27 EST 2005

W5OV, N1LN & others previously (and most kindly) tried to help me solve my
Audio Boondoggle here.

I got so brain fried that I put it all on the back burner.  Then a nasty
(human) virus wiped me out for a while, but now I'm back at trying to get
this pain-in-the-butt audio matter resolved.

Being rather technically QLF here, I had absolutely no idea that my DXD
could accept audio directly from the computer into the "Mic" jack on the
front until several said it would work.  I've always equated "Mic" level
and "Line" level audio as being two different animals.  I have only plugged
microphones into a "Mic" jack :-)  Never in my wildest dreams would I have
considered plugging the line-out from a computer into a "Mic" input jack!!!

For non-SO2R portable with no DXD box, I still must use the SignaLink
device which gets the audio into my TS-480S/TS-870S rigs via DIN connectors
on the back.  Going directly into the DXD for SO2R and plugging the Heil
HC-4 directly into the notebook computer "Mic" in certainly seems simple
enough (although am still suspect about picking up unnecessary added
"stuff" running the mic through the computer).  However...

The unresolved situation here is that the #&^! mic will NOT work with WL
through the computer.  I've tried every possible combination of settings
via the WL Sound Board Options dialog, but still nada.  The microphone
fader is also grayed out ;-(  Mysteriously, the "Advanced" button for any
Record/Microphone stuff is also  grayed out in the XP audio/recording
config stuff.

Now, if I plug the Heil HC-4 into the notebook and use *ONLY* the "Record"
function, this will record .wav files OK.  But that's it.  Double clicking
on the speaker icon in the system tray yields a "Volume" control dialog
box, but is void of any slider or options for Record/Microphone...I have to
access that separately.

A local computer whiz ham pal who also has a Dell D-600 notebook (WinXP)
with Sigma-Tel audio has been trying to help me, but even he is baffled.

"HELP!!!"

Tnx much, 73 & Merry Christmas to all...

Rick, K6VVA