[WriteLog] Icom IC-756PROIII PowerPoint Presentation on the web

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 2 23:42:08 EST 2005

I did a presentation at last night's Delta DX Association club meeting in
Metairie, Louisiana.

I brought A PRO III's in and set it up at the Jefferson Amateur Radio Club
station and did a PowerPoint presentation.

I really didn't know what to do for the presentation so I decided I would
conduct some tests and compare the filters in the PRO III against the filters in
the Kenwood TS-870 on CW and SSB.  I was surprised at the sharpness of the PRO
III filters.

After the presentation, I set up my laptop with MMTTY and we played with the
manual notch filter and everyone (including me) was amazed at the sharpness of
the notch as shown on the MMTTY display.  This was in the CW and SSB mode.
Unfortunately, the notch filter does not work in RTTY mode.

Anyway, I show a lot of screenshots looking a spectrum display (either HamScope
for CW or MMTTY for RTTY) and you can clearly see the difference in the
different filter settings for CW and RTTY.  I was looking at noise with no
signals present, but you can get a good idea of what's going on.  A even though
the differences seem only slight on the screenshots, they are more obvious when
you actually listen in the presence of a signal.

The presentation can be seen at
http://www.rttycontesting.com/icom756proiii/proIII_files/frame.htm.

If you choose to do the full screen slide slow presentation (button in lower
right hand part of browser), use the right mouse button to advance to the next
slide.

73, Don AA5AU