[WriteLog] Radios keying up upon boot up

Floyd Sense fsense at copper.net
Fri Feb 4 09:07:38 EST 2005

Hi Thom.  Windows does not need to initialize the serial ports at boot up.
The reason it examines the serial ports is to see if there are any devices
attached that need device drivers loaded in order to operate properly.  If
you don't have such device (modem, etc.) on a particular port, there is no
need for Windows to examine that port on start-up.  Microsoft has made
available instructions for modifying Registry values associated with the
ports so that you can instruct Windows to NOT examine specific serial ports
when it starts.  I followed their instructions and disabled the examination
process for the serial ports I use to control my radio functions.
Everything worked as advertised.  The downside of this is that not everyone
is capable of doing the Registry mods required, and if you make any changes
in your serial ports (adding a port, or changing the port numbers), the
changes are lost and you have to redo them.  I don't recall the title of the
Microsoft Knowledgebase article describing these changes, but can dig it out
if anyone is interested.

I've found that the easiest thing to do is add a switch to my PTT/CW/FSK
interface box that simply disconnects the RTS and DTR lines when the switch
is turned off.  That prevents any accidents on computer start-up without
having to make the Registry mods.

73, K8AC