[WriteLog] Stuttering CW

Rick Tavan N6XI rtavan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 03:01:26 EST 2005

Although my LPT interface works quite well most of the time, it does
fall down when I'm receiving lots of packet activity via telnet. The
stuttering is pretty embarrassing.  So I recently got a K1EL WinKey
($39 board kit, +$19 for enclosure and connectors) which eats and
buffers ASCII via a serial port and sends it as clean CW. It seems to
work well for computer sending although I haven't yet subjected the
system to the huge packet load that I experience during SS. It doesn't
work well for paddle sending - synchronization problems and delays
between computer and paddle sending. That can be solved by using a
separate keyer for paddle sending just like I do when using parallel
port computer sending. That's a nuisance but it's no worse than
LPT+keyer and the stuttering problem is probably solved.

/Rick N6XI