[WriteLog] Stuttering CW

Rick Tavan N6XI rtavan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 16:13:40 EST 2005

I should clarify some of my remarks about WinKey vs. Writelog. First,
Jim is correct, the board kit costs $28, not the $39 that I misstated.
Second, my stuttering problem was in fact while using telnet to
receive spots, not true "packet" via a VHF radio link.  telnet might
actually be worse in this respect because it runs at high speed.

Finally, allow me to retract at least part of my disparagement over
timing of paddle sending. I figured out that some (not all) of my
timing problem was due to the final space character that I place at
the end of all Writelog messages.  Writelog recommends this so that
multiple messages will concatenate cleanly with a space in between.
But WinKey takes the space literally and won't send paddle-formed
characters until after the space time expires. This makes it awkward
to perform a transmission that starts with a WL message and concludes
with manual sending.  I fixed it by replacing the space character at
the end of each message with an element space (up-carat ^).

Also, the paddle can interrupt sending instantly but Winkey seems to
need just a little time before it will accept real paddle sending
after an interruption.  So I hit either paddle, pause for about an
element time and then continue with paddle sending.

I think the benefits of synchronized paddle and message speed and
paddle interruption of message sending outweigh the workarounds
described above. I will likely use the Winkey for both computer and
paddle sending. I may, however, connect a conventional keyer in
parallel with the WinKey output with its own paddle for a variety of
contest-critical sending chores.

I like the WinKey and consider it quite a bargain compared to some
other keying/switching solutions on the market.

/Rick N6XI