[WriteLog] Function key message set to %L problem

Rick Tavan N6XI rtavan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 21:37:45 EST 2005

See below

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 17:21:51 -0800, jims <jims at psws.com> wrote:

> All of this [Enter sends QRZ, etc.]  works great in WL.
> My problem occurs when in Search and Pounce mode. In this mode I often
> don't use the function keys in the same sequence as the run mode.
> I find that I seldom send the 'thanks' message in Search and Pounce
> mode. The multiplier I am working already has a big pile-up calling
> again when my 'thanks' would be sent. Its useless!
>
> If I don't send the 'thanks' the qso is not logged.
>
> I only have 2 solutions to avoid the 'thanks' message.
> 1) Turn off 'Enter Sends Exchg/QRZ' in Search and Pounce mode.
> 2) Program a function key to %L to only log the QSO.
>
> I am using the %L solution.

I use keyboard mapping to set up semicolon to mimic an F key that
sends my call (if and only if it's a new station) and apostrophe to
mimic an F key that sends my exchange AND %L. So S&P has the same
minimal number of keystrokes as run except that the keys are
different:

   Type in a call (or have it filled in by point & shoot or freq rollover)
   Hit semicolon to call the station (iff needed)
   Copy any  of his exchange that is not auto-filled correctly
   Hit apostrophe to send my exchange and log the Q
   If the station fails to acknowledge or the Q is otherwise rejected,
      use the cancel prior Q function to delete it.

This isn't as nice as the mode-aware tr protocol in which Enter does
everything in both modes, but it's close. My hands don't have to leave
the home-row except for tuning.

> PROBLEM:
> In the SSB mode, a function key programmed to just %L, always keys the
> radio for a very short time.
> Since there is no wave file associated with the function key message, it
> should NOT key the radio at all. The %L does not key the radio in CW.

No problem if you set it up as described above. The %L is part of the
Send My Exchange key so you need to key the radio.

73,

/Rick N6XI