[WriteLog] why no XP LPT keying?

Rip Smith K3XO k3xo at dx.k3xo.net
Mon Jan 31 08:12:18 EST 2005

I'm a newcomer to Writelog and it seems to be a pretty good program
overall, but the LPT keying issue is apparently an issue for quite a few
people.

I don't consider myself a computer moron, although my struggle with this
issue made me feel like one. I tried the both of the driver utilities
and the setup instructions for both left me scratching my head. In one
case the instructions said to enter the "correct starting I/O address
that you found in step 1." Step 1??? The only "step 1" was to run an
install program that did not yield any kind of address.

At the very least, instructions for these things need to be done in a
way that can be understood an followed by those of us who are not rocket
scientists. As Chuck said, I just want to play radio.

As I reported earlier, I eventually got it working but the perplexing
part about it is that I have no idea what I did! It just seemed to fix
itself. I hope I don't need to reinstall it any time soon.

As others have pointed out, there are numerous programs out there where
LPT keying works without a lot of thrashing around. DXBase requires the
installation of some drivers, but that is accoumplished with a simple
installation utility that works first time. Even the inexpensive N3FJP
packages work "right out of the box".

I would hope that the comments that seem to have been triggered by my
initial request for guidance would get Wayne's attention. This clearly
is an issue for the next upgrade, or even a maintenance release.

73, Rip K3XO