[WriteLog] Start Sending Now feature in Writelog

David O Hachadorian k6ll at juno.com
Fri Jul 8 13:57:11 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:17:06 -0700 (PDT) ad6e at inreach.com writes:

> OK, I know I'm not the super hot shot, but I really don't understand
> why
> you would want to start sending before getting the whole call sign.

Suppose you call "cq contest" at 35 wpm.

Back to you, at 35 wpm, comes "DE VE6RAC"

If you are an expert touch typist, you can type ve6rac and reach over to
hit the insert key with only a slight delay, so there's no major problem.

If you are not an expert typist, you have ve6rac in your head, but are
slow in typing the keystrokes. If you have autostartsending=4, then as
soon as you type the "R" in ve6rac, the outgoing message begins, giving
you about two seconds to type the remaining "AC." The outgoing message
will include the full VE6RAC. Note that you do not have to hit the INSERT
key at all, which is a further major time savings.

Autostartsending is a boon for us slow-to-moderate speed typists. It is
exhilarating to cruise at 120 q/hr in this mode, with ZERO response
delay!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA