[WriteLog] Serial Numbers with networked PCs

W. Wright, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Sun Jul 24 16:10:18 EDT 2005

The information on this thread is not quite accurate. WriteLog
does not ignore networked stations when assigning serial numbers.
But it only takes into account Q's that have already been logged
when it makes the assignment--not any that might be in progress.

The "complexity" isn't really so much an issue as the impossibility.
There is no way to make all four of these statements true, no matter
what logging software you use (or even if you log on paper):
1. Multiple QSOs are in progress at a time.
2. Once a QSO is started and assigned a serial number, it can be aborted
without being logged.
3. The sequence of QSOs that make it into the log has no gaps in serial
number
4. The sequence of QSOs that make it into the log has no duplicates.

I won't dispute the claim that some have made that WL could do a "better"
job of assigning serial numbers, although no one has convinced me of one.
But I will dispute the claim that some have made that there is a "correct"
way, as all such claims that I have seen are based on the assumption that
it is possible to make the log look like (3) and (4) without removing
the possibility of (1) and/or (2).

I have always been of the opinion that the simplest rule to prevent
SO2R operation is to require all submitted logs to look like (3) and (4).
It remains possible to operate SO2R under that constraint, but it takes away
a lot of its advantage. If you added in a 2 or 3 QSO penalty for failing to
comply with (3) and (4) I suspect there would be nobody left that could
accomplish SO2R to any advantage at all.

Wayne, W5XD