[WriteLog] CW PTT

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 16 15:24:27 EDT 2005

Hi list

I seem to have solved a problem which has bothered me for some time.

Rather than use QSK when running SO2R and wear out the relay to no good
effect, I set CW/PTT to command on COM port, but have always been troubled
by a delay in returning to receive, which sometimes truncated the first
character on a quick responder. I thought  that perhaps this was a
characteristic of my transceiver ( TS870 for reference), but on switching
for test purposes to an IC7400 the same problem was experienced. I then
changed the PTT method from "command on COM port" to " On lpt pin 16/ COM
RTS" . So in both cases the command is going via the COM port, but in the
first case there is a finite delay of a part of a dot, not in the second. so
the problem is apparently solved, but being electronically challenged I am
puzzled as to why.

Is there a simple explanation perhaps?

73

Clive