[WriteLog] delay in voice recording

Marc Ressler marc.ressler at verizon.net
Sun Mar 27 12:44:41 EST 2005

Dave,

I know this isn't the answer you want, but...

We've never tried using the quick, on the fly record, and instead record
wave files and then edit them to get the spacing right - to the extent we
have even made "space" wave files to guarantee spacing between multiple
wave file playback. Editing has been done in a number of tools over the
years, in an attempt to get amplitude and pacing to match across all wave
files.

This was an attempt by our host (W3LJ) to eliminate ALL voice strain by
making  wave files for every number and letter as well, so that call signs
and serial numbers could be sent by the voice keyer as well. This is HARD
to get right - our host played around for over a month editing and
re-recording stuff, and it still sounded artificial. Worse yet, there are
always times you need to do a fill from the microphone, and when the voice
is from a different operator it only confuses the poor guy on the other end.

We did a quick recording for CQ for WPX (running as WK3X) but gave up since
the guy that does most of the CQ'ing didn't do the recording, and the
pacing was just too slow. Instead, we're all shouting into the headset and
looking for throat lozenges ;-)

MarC, K3NCO
marc.ressler at verizon.net