[WriteLog] Alternating CQ

Dennis Mowers k5ya at gvtc.com
Wed Nov 9 14:01:10 EST 2005

Is there anyone out there who has tried using this function?

The following steps are how I used the alternating CQ function in the
SS.  I would appreciate any
suggestions on what I might do to simplify this operation.  Or, could
someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Here is how I do it:

First, from the WL Help file:  "....it takes three keys to start the
alternating CQ's. F1, SHIFT+UP/DOWN, then F1 again".

I use a macro utility, Macro Express, to start the alternating CQ's with
"Alt C", just one keystroke.

Fine so far.  CQ's are alternating on two radios, and headphones are
switching correctly.

When I get an answer to a CQ, the cursor is in the correct location, and
I type in a call.

Now, here is where it gets difficult.  To send the EXCH, I have to hit
CTRL+UP or DOWN, then
RETURN.  Shouldn't the transmit focus be changed automatically by WL
when I start typing the call, so All I have to do is hit RETURN to
answer the CQ?

In addition,  when the EXCH is done,  CQ doesn't auto resume on the
other radio, even though "Auto CQ will resume" is displayed in red in
the window for that radio.  So, the other radio is not holding my CQ
frequency while I'm copying the exchange.  With the long SS exchange,
this will inevitably result in the loss of that CQ frequency.

In SO2R operation the Auto Resume works OK after my call, or my EXCH is
sent..  Am I doing something wrong that disables the "Auto CQ resume"
in the Alternating CQ mode?

73,
Dennis-K5YA