[WriteLog] WL10.55D problems

DJ3IW Goetz goetzlin at t-online.de
Tue Nov 15 19:46:09 EST 2005

HI all!

I hope Wayne will read this mail. After the many emails in favour of
and critical of Writelog I am curious IF and WHAT response I will get
to this problem report.
First of all, the problem I going to write about was already reported
by me back in May 2005 - no response at that time.
My problem report pertains only to RTTY use of WL. So here we go:

My computer environment:
Pentium 2.3GHz CPU, 1GByte Ram, Windows XP Home with SP2 up-to-date,
but Windows firewall deactivated, Norton Internet Security 2005
with AntiVirus 2005 always active. Except for whatever Windows runs
in the background and Writelog, no other user programmes active.
Writelog 10.55D up and running, two Rittyrite windows open, one for
RX/TX with external PTC-II connected to a real COM port, the other
for MMTTY RX only. Packet window for telnet connection to my favourite
DX-cluster. Bandmap with rig-control via real COM port, Check-partial,
beam heading, Summary windows.

Problem #1 - the main one: Since upgrading from WL 10.53E the newer
versions show a noticable delay in reacting to ALL types of inputs,
also call sign recognition and highlighting in the RTTY windows shows
this delay. Delay is in the order of .3 to .5 second. When WL 10.55D
was installed the delay seemed to become somewhat less but still
noticeable and a nuisance. I used 10.55D in the SCC, CQWW, Makro,
JARTS, CIS and UKR RTTY contests - always the same delay problem.
WL 10.53E does NOT have this problem.
Problem #2 - possibly related to #1: WL 10.55D setup for the WAE RTTY
contest and trying to receive QTCs. ALT-R opens QTC-RX window. Other
station starts sending his QTC xx/10. xx/10 gets properly highlighted
(Magenta I think) with delay. The individual QTC lines follow. Now
strange things happen. Some QTC lines get properly highlighted. For
others (i.e. MOST of them) first the callsign gets highlighted green
yellow or red. Then the remainder that is xxxx- before call and -yyy
after call get highlighted in magenta as QTC, BUT call remains in
other
colour. All of this with the problem #1 delays.
Clicking the mouse on such strange looking QTCs will ONLY transfer the
leading time xxxx- into the QTC-RX window. Oh well, the remaining
major parts of the QTC must be typed in by hand!! Use your
imagination!
This behaviour is increasing while the contest goes on. But sometimes
some QTC lines will show proper highlighting. So the QTC-RX support
is by all means not useable.
In the middle of the contest I reinstalled old version 10.53E and all
my problems were gone.

73 de Goetz, DJ3IW