[WriteLog] TRX-Manager + WriteLog & Remote Stations

Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK) richard at karlquist.com
Sat Oct 22 00:52:10 EDT 2005

I have listened to my Galt station from Cupertino using TRX-manager.
There is a few hundred ms delay.  This is probably due to the
internet delay, since it is close to the ping delay.  The software
at the other end, whether TRX-manager, Writelog, whatever, is
unlikely to matter.

If I was seriously going to do a contest remote, I would send
CW as tones over a phone line and key the transmitter that way.
This totally eliminates the delay issue.  This has definitely
been done before, but not by me.  Also, you can use
the phone line to bring back received audio without delay as
well.  Again, this totally eliminates the software, such as
Skype as a delay issue.  It also eliminates the uncertainty
regarding Ebay's purchase of Skype.

I am planning to order (probably tomorrow) the N8LP LP-remote
board and software, which works in conjunction with TRX-manager.
I think this is the best long term solution.  BTW, the best rig
to use with this stuff is the K2, for complicated reasons I
won't get into here.  But for remote contest, you really should
use the K2.

With the N8LP/TRX-manager setup, you don't need any remote desktop
program (I use the free "LogMeIn.com") to operate the radio, thus
that issue is also eliminated.  You can still use LogMeIn for general
remote management of the computer, where there is no time issue.

If this Reader's Digest version doesn't make sense, read the appropriate
web sites and it will probably start to sink in.  It's hard to explain
in 25 words or less.

Rick N6RK