[WriteLog] SO2R help with DX doubler (Intern)

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Oct 24 17:37:01 EDT 2005

AL, AD6E, wrote:

 > Not that I want to get on your case or anything, but I still think that if
 > you really want the features specific to TRlog, then you should use TRlog.

First of all, welcome back from K7C & Tnx for the Qs.   I'll buy you guys a
beer at the next NCCC meeting I attend :-)

FYI, there are many others (5B4AGN, et.al.) who also want to see the CW
capabilities of WL enhanced.  For mixed-mode contests like CQP, etc., WL
remains the best choice for CW & SSB (especially considering the 20 .wav
file messaging capabilities).  What those of us have been advocating will
benefit all serious CW contesters!

 > Dualing CQs are not so difficult in WL. It is a manual process, but if
 > you're down to the point of CQing on two bands it means no one is calling
 > you anyway (ie low rate), and you can't find anyone by S&P (ie really low
 > rate). So, what are your fingers doing while in auto CQ mode with all this
 > idle time?  Do you let the station CQ while you go get a beer? I just don't
 > see the advantage in automating this, and I do see serious QLF problems.

Maybe more "User Friendly" is a more appropriate term, but K7NV's demo at
N6RO during the NCCC SO2R Clinic indicated this to be one more "tool" in a
Contester's arsenal for decision making options and stragegy modifications
on-the-fly...and as automated as possible vs. "manual".

 > Regarding key paddle input on LPT, I have nothing against this, but if it
 > existed I wouldn't use it. Here's why:  If I need to use the paddle for
 > manual sending, it's almost always because of a QLF problem (me or the other
 > guy). Therefore I set the keyer to a slightly slower speed that what WL is
 > sending. So in that QLF moment, I simply grab the key and send. I don't have
 > to think about it. Second reason is that this arrangement works regardless
 > of what WL is doing at the time. I can still send even if the computer
 > crashes.  This is a real plus when I use the rig when NOT in a contest and
 > the computer isn't even turned on. Yes, my homebrew SO2R box uses a relay to
 > switch the keyer between rigs. It follows the A/B switch bit on LPT, and I
 > also have a toggle switch that overrides. It really isn't so difficult.

Both approaches have advantages, however my experience has been if you have
WL set at 32WPM and the TXRX (manually) at 28WPM, in the scenario where
someone calls at 25WPM and you instantly drop the CW speed in the logger,
then jumping on the paddles for fills will be at a higher CW speed than the
caller may be able to copy, and so there again is another "take the hands
off the keyboard MANUAL step" to drop the TXRX keying speed :-)

Again, it is all about increased capabilities and multiple options, from
which an individual operator can choose the approach that's right for
them.  My enhancement suggestions are A-L-W-A-Y-S about increasing
productivity options for CW *and* SSB to put WL at the forefront of contest
loggers.  "Progress" is not always an easy thing, of course.

 > 73, your expert in QLF,
 > Al  AD6E     SOC  and member of the K7C team

Glad you guys are back safely, and I can hardly wait to see a formal
presentation and to hear all the "War Stories" about the K7C
operation...especially involving FWS.

73...

Rick, K6VVA