[WriteLog] Dumb Question

Jamie Dupree NS3T ns3t at arrl.net
Tue Aug 15 11:07:43 EDT 2006

Mike - this is not a dumb question at all.  I have been going through
bad voice problems for a number of years and thanks to Wayne W5XD,
Writelog is a very powerful tool for voice keying.  You can set up
as many files as you want....as I always say, this is *NOT* for everyone.

I use an audio freeware program called Audacity.  It works great and
is easy to figure out when you need to start recording and editing wav
files.
There are lots of other software choices out there as well.

The command %C is where everything starts - that will sound out a
call from pre-recorded files (K-9-M-I.)  %C will also play a full call
if you record those as well.  Check out the help file information on
CW and RTTY and Voice Memory Setup for info on that.

If you just record single letters and numbers, it will likely be choppy and
somewhat robotic.  I started with that, then moved to record all
the W/VE prefixes, along with single letter and two letter suffixes.

1x2's (W5-XD) sound okay for the most part as do 2x2's (KD3-IW.)
2x1's (NS3-T) can be a bit choppy.  1x3's and 2x3's are problematic,
because recording every three letter suffix combination from AAA-ZZZ
is not just not realistic (there are over 17,000 of them.)

It really all depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it
and how complicated you want the operation to be.  You can just record
your call and a few other things and be a happy S&P'er with voice files.
Or you can record all kinds of stuff to CQ and do more.

I have been recording files on and off for over two years now and have
over 11,000 wav files on my hard drive.  Every few contests, I look at
3830 and other results and see what calls were active and check what
three letter suffixes were on and record those.   I also have been figuring
out ways to make it interactive with serial numbers, QTH's and more.

I do hope to be on for some of the NAQP SSB with my "CQ machine"
as I've dubbed it.  It's all 100% recorded - no microphone available at all.
It means I get to save my voice and it keeps the house quiet as well.

73 NS3T