[WriteLog] MK1100 keyer design?

Richard L. King k5na at texas.net
Wed Jan 18 16:49:48 EST 2006

I have noticed this strange thing about the MK1100 keyer when using
it with just one radio.

Normally when I switch to dual mode on my FT1000MP it puts the main
VFO in my left ear and the sub VFO in my right ear. This is the same
as the VFO readouts on the panel; left for main and right for sub. It
works this way if I have my headphones plugged directly into the
radio and is as I would expect it to be.

But when I am wired through my MK1100 keyer and the headphones
connected to the keyer, it works different. The MK1100 seems to
reverse the audio and put the main VFO in my right ear and the sub
VFO in my left ear. This is backwards to the radio layout and to the
way the radio works with the headphones directly connected and can be
confusing.

I checked my jumpers and the cables seemed wired correctly with tip
to tip, ring to ring, and shield to shield. I asked Ron, K5DJ, about
this at Dayton and he said he had never heard of anyone having this
problem before.

It is just me or is it possible that the MK1100 might have some
incorrect internal wiring? Has anyone else noticed this?

73, Richard - K5NA

P.S. SO2R works as it should.

k5na at ecpi.com