[WriteLog] Networked Ops (long)

John E Bastin jbastin at sssnet.com
Mon Jun 26 16:34:38 EDT 2006

On Jun 26, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Ford Peterson wrote:

> Thanks for the response John.
>
> I believe the real reason for the network on FD is the issue of
> dupes.  Our log has 278 dupes that called us on FD.  Obviously,
> these 278 stations share your opinion on FD, and cannot run a paper
> dupe sheet either.

Apparently you misunderstand my opinion. Our Field Days definitely
use computer logging, and we definitely check dupes. My point was
that each band/mode can do its own dupe checking, but doesn't need to
know about contacts made on any other band/mode. Contact with a
station can be made once on each band, and according to Field Day
rules, phone, cw and digital modes on a band are considered as
separate bands (Field Day rule 6.3).

Therefore, unless you use more than one radio at different times on
the same band/mode, neither of the computers needs information from
more than its own log. The GOTA station is a different callsign, so
regardless of where its contacts occur, it only needs to worry about
contacts in its own log.

> Our operation was a 2A, and was run much like a M/M in a real
> contest.  It's an opportunity to introduce contesting to the locals
> without the intimidation that goes along with the need to win.  The
> two positions were MKV radios and were equipped to select between
> any one of 8 antennas set up that day.  Even the GOTA station could
> participate in the fun.  Each of the positions would work CW or
> SSB.  Many of the Ops were capable of working either mode.

If, in your setup, one of the Mark Vs might work 40 cw, for instance
and then later the other Mark V operated on 40 CW, then, yes, you
needed the network.

To me, an easier solution would be to designate a group of non-
conflicting bands/modes for each radio, and avoid the potential dupe
problem (and the need to network).

Hope this helps.

73,

John E Bastin, K8AJS