[WriteLog] Field Day

Charles Morrison cfmorris at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 27 16:13:24 EDT 2006

Although this strays from the original intent of the email thread, you're
right John, its not supposed to be cut throat.  But perhaps your thought
process suggests we should still be using horses and buggies although
motorized vehichles will get us there faster and more efficiently?

Dupe sheets are great, but its sure not a "techno savvy" way of introducing
these young kids to ham radio now is it?  They've forgotten more about
computers then most of the hams out there have ever known, and if you've got
an opportunity to draw them to ham radio via using a keyboard, so be it!
Don't hand them a piece of paper and a pencil then spend an hour teaching
them how to manually dupe.  Sit them in front of a networked computer with
things like the Network Gab (ie: instant messenger) and let them mix that
with radio.

As for emergency setups, this is the heart of the original message.  It
should NOT be hard as it apparently is to get set up.  But just imagine what
the officials will say when you hand them a list of emergency shelter
victims hand written on a piece of loose leaf paper.

Charlie
KI5XP
Lafayette, La.