[WriteLog] Serial Port Choppy CW

k0bx at arrl.net k0bx at arrl.net
Fri Jun 30 11:01:21 EDT 2006

N0FP is correct when he says:
"I  believe it is associated
> > with the cpu being "overloaded" by too many
> processes requiring cpu cycles
> > simultaneously.  You can reduce the  occurrence of
> choppy cw by shutting down any
> > programs that are running  concurrently with WL,
> such as virus checking
> > software, but you will  probably not eliminate the
> problem altogether"

This happens mostly on older machines with CPU's who
speed is slow.

The easiest way I have found to rid these machines of
this problem is just before the contest I do the
following:

>From Windows goto START => RUN and entry "MSCONFIG".
and then hit Enter.

The MSCONFIG Window will come up and from the
"General" tab (default) select the radiobutton
"Selective Startup".

Then "Uncheck" the "Load Startup Items".
This will cause the computer on re-booth to NOT load
all those programs that are causing the problem.

You can look at what is in your Startup by selecting
the "Startup tab" on the toolbar.

The last thing to do is click OK, a popup window will
tell you that you have to rebooth for the option to
take effect.  This is what you want to do.

After the computer rebooth, bring up Writelog and see
if the CW keying is any better?   It should not have
the poor keying.

Remember after the contest to run MSCONFIG and check
the "Normal Startup" button so your other programs
will work as before.

Doing this you have done nothing fatal to the computer
or programs and is easy to undo.

Joe K0BX