[WriteLog] Laptop Soundcards - My Findings

Scot, K9JY scot at k9jy.com
Mon Oct 2 15:59:43 EDT 2006

For what it is worth, I've checked the Levino (ThinkPad) T41 and T43's here at work with the sound check program and they fly.

I also had the same experience with the sound board program on the brands below (I took in a USB disk with it on).

Scot, K9JY

rmthorne at cox.net wrote: I went to one of the large retail electronic stores with a CD in hand that had the sound board check program.  I was able to find a salesman that didn't have much to do so we went around to a few of the laptops to see if they would support Writelog.

I tested Toshiba's, Gateways and HP's and unfortunately none of them passed the soundboard check, ie, it would not pass the mic audio through to the speaker output.  I've also tested a few of the Dells since thats we have here in our office, and again, the Dells did not pass.

So I purchased a Soundblaster pcmcia card, the Audigy2ZS card.  I was told I could bring it back if the product did not support my application.

To make a long story short, it did not pass the soundboard check but I tried it with Writelog anyways.  I went to tools and checked echo microphone.  The card worked like a champ.

Since the the card didn't pass the sound board check I'm starting to wonder if the other laptops would work anyways, but without having Writelog installed, I'll never know unless I purchase one.

I may just buy one of the laptops I liked and try it, if it doesn't support Writelog I can always insert the pcmcia card, if it works I can return the pcmcia card.

73,

Rich - N5ZC