[WriteLog] WL Rare Mult ID Enhancement

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Tue Oct 31 01:49:14 EST 2006

I realize it's too late to implement this in WL before SS 2006, but firmly
believe a tweak herein can help more folks achieve Clean Sweeps in SS
2007.  There would be benefits to be realized in other contests where
callsign prefixes actually identify the mult or zone involved.

Experience has shown that there will be some who will yell and scream
"don't change anything", so what I am about to offer here would be simply
additional configuration "options".  If people don't want them, don't turn
'em on and proceed in your comfort zone.

IMHO, the more contest logging software features move along a timeline from
non-computer hand/paper logging toward complete artificial intelligence on
the other end, the more potential contest operator efficiencies can
result.  This can translate to more QSOs and more Mults for a bigger
score.  It's fascinating how this can work!

Here's the general picture...

When a new Mult does show up, have the callsign BLINK on & off (slowly) in
the bandmap (config option).  This is much more "alertive" than simply one
"static" color out of many to look at.

It would also be helpful to have the same feature (as a separate config
option) for the Packet Spots window in WL (some people use this instead of
bandmaps).  Yes, I know there is an "M" to the left of some callsigns, but
after a while, the same black type seems to blurrrrrrrr together.

Not everyone includes a SS Mult ID when they make a packet spot.  But many
of us know the typical last 5 most difficult, pesky mults that are mostly
the same ones each year.

A helpful feature would be to have the ability (as a config option) for
those interested to have the same slow BLINK on & off occur when a callsign
from a special "hit list" shows up in a packet spot.  The "hit list" would
simply be a designated .txt file containing all the callsigns for the 5 or
10 generally most needed mults culled from the last 3 or 5 years of SS log
entries (as posted on the ARRL website) for these mults (or from non-SS log
submitters who were posted & ID'd but you never work 'em before the final
bell rings...you would append these to the "hit list" for next year
:-0)  This "hit list" could be used in DX Contests for known hard to work
rare mult or Zone stations, or perhaps State QSO parties to ID the
callsigns of County Expeditions to rare mults.  There are numerous
possibilities.  Trying to memorize rare mult callsigns and remember them
drains the brain during a contest.

All WL needs to do is scan the "hit list" .txt file in a similar manner to
the way the "friend.ini" system works :-)

Since some folks don't use packet fully until the 2nd day of a contest, the
other cool config option would be to ONLY have callsigns from the "hit
list" show (config option), and NOT display all other callsign posts (if
desired).  I'd sure hate to miss one of my usual "rare mults" during the
1st day if I didn't want to be bogged down with packet for its general
intended purposes.

Config options for turning various features on & off as desired is the key.

Scoff if you will, but I see contest operational efficiency value to the
above enhancement suggestions and possible variations thereof.

Tnx (Wayne) & 73...

Rick, K6VVA