[WriteLog] W5XD/K5DJ multi-keyer for SSB and AFSK

Ric Plummer ricp at charter.net
Wed Sep 20 13:29:10 EDT 2006

Bill
Have been using the setup for a long time so will offer some comments.

many sound cards and their mixer screens have the capability to "Boost"
the mic, that is, to switch in a preamp in the sound card. The Creative
Ensoniq
I use has this, and I know others do, including a $15 CompUSA PCI card with
the
ALS4000 chip set. So you may want to look for this on your mixer.

I use an isolation transformet on the Line out to Mic in line. I consider
this important
as my transmitted audio must be clean. I do use a resistive divider must to
keep controls
near their mid range, both the audio mixer on the computer and the mic gain.
I hate to run near the end, the adjustment is too fussy. If you have a line
in I see no reason not to use it.

On the audio out, I have found no problem with just using the direct
connection, although I remember using a divider here too, for the same
reasons as above. An isolation transformer is always a good idea, but I have
had no problems without it. I always use the line out whne it is available.
Even better, on the IC756 PRO, it is not controlled by the volume control !

I have had no problem sith RFI, but I am fortunate that all antennas are at
least 200 ft from the shack and all coax are well matched and tightly
connected.

Give it all a try, you will have fun

Ric KV1W