[WriteLog] Laptops and Writelog

Bob Raker bob.raker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:32:13 EDT 2007

I have WL networked on two XP computers.

>From the help files:

Note that WriteLog TCP/IP networking will accept the IP numbered address (
192.168.1.75 in the example above) as an alternative to the name (w5xd in
the example). But using numbers in a network with DHCP enabled comes with
its own risks. The "D" in DHCP stands for "dynamic", which means that the
DHCP server can, under certain conditions, decide to change or re-use
numbers when machines get rebooted. For convenience in restarting logging
operatins, WriteLog remembers the names used in previous sessions when
restarting, and if you have typed numbers into WriteLog, and if DHCP has
moved the numbers around, then the names remembered by WriteLog will be
wrong.

I could not get WL to recognize the names of the computers.  It did fine
with using IP addresses, though.  I now have my computers set for static IP
addresses.

73,

Bob