[WriteLog] Wave file info needed

JAMES HEADRICK W3CP at CHARTER.NET
Sat Feb 10 02:41:07 EST 2007

Gary,

> Jim,
> Don't erase or uninstall anything yet.  That is always an option, but
> let's
> try a few things first.
>
> Are you trying to send a wav audio file with one of the function keys as
> Eric seems to think?  I guess I'm not sure.  I'm assuming the error
> message
> shows up when you start WL.

You are correct.  The error message just started showing up several months
ago; it may have been after a new WL version installation but I am not sure.
I sort of ignored it since my main interest is in CW contests,  but recently
started thinking I might hit fone tests a little harder if the machine could
call CQ for me.

>If so, then I still think your problem is
> associated with the path name needed to create a contest recording file.
> The part of the error message that says "Can't set wave file recording..."
> seems to indicate WL is trying to find a path for the recording that isn't
> working.  After changing the path in the writelog.ini file and starting
> WL,
> did the error message change at all or is it still the same?  The  path
> "C:\WriteLog file\Programs\ham\AudioRecording" is not exactly what I sent
> you - did you add it to the writelog.ini file?  If not, where did you put
> it?

Below is what was and is in my ini file. I didn't change anything.

WaveFileLocation=c:\writelog file\WaveFiles\
RecordingLocation=c:\ham\AudioRecording\

I did add the below  to the WriteLog file.

C:\WriteLog file\Programs\ham\AudioRecording

> You say you first installed WL on the C drive - where exactly?  What is
> the
> path that leads to the writelog.exe file that starts the program?   Most
> installs are done to the Program Files directory, but that is merely a
> convention.  Same with the 'ham' directory.  Many moons ago this was the
> recommended folder name to install the WL programs into.  It doesn't have
> be that exactly, but whatever path is used to start your program must be
> used to find the AudioRecording folder.

"C:\WriteLog file\Programs\WriteL32.exe"  Is how I start the program.  Back
in 2002 or 2003 when I first switched to WL that is where I installed it.

> See if you can let me know the path name to your WL program, wherever it's
> installed and we'll go from there.

Perhaps a little background might indicate how hard it is to help me.  I am
a severely analog type thinker who never intuitively understands what the
programer was doing.  I use the PC because it is a wonderful tool, not
because of any natural affinity or enjoyment.  I went to WL when the PC
I needed couldn't run the old DOS logging programs that had a manual and
were easy to use. (Of course they didn't have all the WL capabilities.)

Again I am much obliged for the help,  73  Jim w3cp