[WriteLog] Unable to Link Logs on LapTops

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Mon Jun 25 13:30:27 EDT 2007

Rich,

We had two XP laptops linked at W6YL with a simple crossover cable. They
failed to work until I found one of them had a secondary firewall turned on.
When that was turned off both machines linked just fine on Friday night.
However on Sat morning, they no longer talked to each other after waking up
from "sleep" mode. Evidently waking up turned on the firewall again. BUT -
turning off the firewall did not fix the problem this time. In fact, I
couldn't get them to talk no matter what I tried. We ran all day Sat with
the two isolated which was a bummer. On Sunday morning one of the guys tried
closing BOTH Writelog programs and re-starting them. (not a re-boot of the
computers). This worked. The logs merged and they stayed talking for the
rest of Field Day. Strange, but true.

Hope that helps.

73, Al  AD6E

Message: 4