[WriteLog] Writelog 10.62 TCP/IP Networking

Charles Morrison cfmorris at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 6 01:25:14 EST 2007

What "flavor" of networking are you using for your MM or M2 station (or SO2R
for that matter) in Writelog?  NetDDE or TCP/IP?

I commented to Don on the phone just last week that my previous attempts to
use IP networking was a disaster.  Pat has 2 pc's setup, and at the time, it
was 10.58whatever.  I think it was ARLDX last year, perhaps not.  Whatever
test that was blamed for numerous packet spots, continuously rolling in.  It
was also about the time of the flashing bandmap problem.

Well, in that contest, I recall that version, or somewhere there abouts,
being the first to incorporate IP networking.  It was an apparent disaster
at the time.  I recall several reports of people having problems with both
the IP networking and the flashy bandmap and that the program would crash.
After a various amount of time in IP mode, the program would crash, so I
switched him back to NetDDE and it was fine for the remainder of the contest
and the remainder of the year in fact.  I just never used TCP/IP again.

With the complete removal, cleaning of the registry, and deletion of the
C:\Ham directory, and a fresh start with 10.61, I was optimistic for a fresh
start.  I believe in Roundup, I used 10.61 in TCP/IP mode.  I didn't have
any problems.  But at 10.62 this weekend, as time went on, the the IP bug
showed its head again.  Fortunately, I'd like Wayne to weigh in on this, the
NetDDE did generate a log, and I did immediately saved it before it was
overwritten.

Once the error occurred, there was only one fix.  You'd have to disconnect
the network link, re-register both pc's for Network connection and
re-establish the link.  Again, it would last approximately an hour or so
before coming to a crash.  This happened I think 3 times on Friday night,
before Roland NA5Q and myself made the change back to NetDDE.  Not a single
problem for the remainder of the test.

Wayne, I have the log and would like to hear your input on this.  This
problem is apparently not fixed.

Charlie
KI5XP