[WriteLog] Network reliability

Charles Morrison cfmorris at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 6 09:42:32 EST 2007

> Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:26:24 -0700
> From: "K7ZO (Scott Tuthill)" <k7zo at cableone.net>
> Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Network reliability
> To: "Bob Henderson" <bob at 5b4agn.net>, <writelog at contesting.com>
>
> Have used WL for years at NK7U in MS, MM, M2 environments with high
> levels
> of RF, up to 5 PC's online at the same time. Never had any problems I
> would
> call "networking" problems. Had something that looked like networking
> problems once that we finally traced down to someone had changed the
> default
> directories WL was using. We had multiple revisions of WL on the same
> PC in
> some cases -- somehow someone changed the default directories across
> versions on one PC which then did not behave well. We have since
> cleaned
> this up and have one and only one version of WL on the PC's at the same
> time. We also do not allow any direct web access from contest PC's
> anymore -- web, IM, e-mail, etc. -- which also cleaned up the PC's
> quite a
> bit.
>
> But, to me WL network behavior is a shining star. Once you have a PC
> crash
> at 2AM, drop in a spare, and have it auto-sync the log back up in
> seconds,
> you know it is something special.

I'll second Scott's observations.  I've found it to be fairly reliable,
however it could have been for several things that I did inadvertently and
didn't think twice about.

1.  Never use TCP/IP networking.  Especially with the Bandmap feature, it
crashes.. period.  This was noted several years ago and hasn't changed.  Ed
W0YK and I both commented on it, but it still remains.  Using TCP/IP
networking and the bandmap in a contest that has plenty of spots will cause
the bandmap to stop responding and eventually the networking will crash.
Netbios (NetDDE) networking works fine.

2.  Make sure you're running the EXACT SAME WRITELOG ON ALL COMPUTERS.
Remember, if you install 2 versions at different times, they are NOT THE
SAME.  Updates are not completely backwards inclusive, regardless of the
version shown running.  My suggestion is if you're not sure what version of
patches/updates you've installed, uninstall the entire program, email Ron
and get the fresh download.  I took this a bit further and uninstalled all
portions of Writelog, then went through the registry removing anything with
Writelog, W5XD, RTTYRITE, etc.  Reboot the machine and start with a fresh
install.  Any and all machines that are added after, you're probably best
served doing the same exact steps.  The versions may be the same, but most
certainly the files are not, and you'll see it on a contest module that wont
talk to another one, because at some point it got updated and you didn't
install that same EXACT set of updates on the second computer.

3.  Use both the HOSTS file and LMHOSTS files.  For Win2k/XP, Windows uses
DNS.  Unless you're running a domain network, use the Hosts file, include
all workstations in the network in there.  Since you're using NetDDE, make
sure you also use the LMHOSTS file.  Keep in mind, Microsoft has very
specific steps for editing the LMHOSTS file, follow the KB article on how to
edit it, or email me and I'll send it to you.

4.  Usernames and passwords must be the same across the network, this is
standard.  Additionally its best if all workstations are the same OS.
Mixing XP, 2000 and 98 isn't impossible, but there will be ramifications.
XP will use the Guest account to authenticate non XP workstations.  Make
sure if you mix, you enable the Guest account, give it local administrator
membership.  I additionally always map a drive from each workstation back to
the others, just to make sure MS networking is ok.  Set it to remain
connected, also helps to move files back and forth (SSB waves, log files,
etc).

5.  Basic Microsoft networking steps should be taken into account.  All
workstations need to be members of the same workgroup.  All workstations
need STATIC Addresses, no DHCP.  Disable all Antivirus, Norton Security,
Windows Firewall, Mcafee, etc etc.  The Norton Internet Security is
especially evil in its blocking of network traffic.  Disable it, and save
the headache.  If you're really worried about exposing an unprotected
machine to the internet, disable that ip address on the firewall, it cant
get it out.

After a little finagling, I've gotten it very stable at the camp.  Although
I have a wondering serial port from time to time, its been working without
crash and disconnects.  RTTY contests usually will run the entire time,
although after about an hour or so it'll crash if I attempt to exit the
RTTYRITE.  So I usually save all of the logs and reboot when I have a break
period just to make sure things are ok.

Charlie
KI5XP