[WriteLog] Network reliability

ve3cwj ve3cwj at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 11:45:38 EST 2007

I see our favorite topic of networking WL is still running... A few years
back, I implored WL to implement TCP/IP instead of just NetDDE. They did,
but problems have always cropped up.
Yes, WL seems to have some issues, and the advice on setting up networks,
etc. is all good. However it's not so much on how RF resistant the network
or computer is, but rather how WL recovers from a network failure itself.
Perhaps it's how it transfers packets, syncs the logs, or whatever. But the
bottom line is that WL is very poor at "recovery". That is what causes the
"reboots", restarts, and everything else in between. The "other" logging
software mentioned in various threads are no more immune to RF than WL.
However, their network recovery seems to be far better.
This past FD, I was kept bust just running around keeping the 2A (+GOTA) all
synced up. We were running a totally wireless network, but RF still plays
havoc with any computer. Occasionally, WL would just simply lock up, with no
re-sync ever, until it was re-loaded. I seldom had to reboot the computer or
restart network gear, it all continued to work at all times (pings always
worked...). The issue was obviously the WL software only.
So somehow the recovery process within WL is what has to be fixed. You can
have an intermittent network failure every 2 minutes, and as long as the
software recovers within 5 or 10 seconds, not much would be lost. It seems
however, the WL relies on some long-term OS timers for network timeouts
(that's my impression). Or, perhaps it's how WL re-parsed the log files on
restart? I've seen some badly mangled information passing through WL at
times of network failure...thinks like radio names with a string of "A"'s
appended to it... Whether it is RF in the network or computer is mostly
irrelevant (though good network setup IS always important). It is how WL
recovers from a network "glitch" that is the key, important issue. WL is a
good product in general, and the other logging software all have their
issues too.... But if WL can somehow fix the network recovery process, it
would become a much better product.
I don't have any magic answers for this problem, but thought I'd throw my 2
cents (1.8 cents American) into the discussion. Keep up the good work.

Steve
VE3CWJ