[WriteLog] Writelog's Future with PSK31

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Thu Nov 22 15:04:31 EST 2007

Hi all,

Joe W4TV wrote ................
"Writelog provides an excellent PSK31 decoder in RTTYrite which
works better than DigiPan or MMVARI exactly because it uses
narrow filters in the receiver rather than look at a 3 KHz chunk
of the band.  High performance PSK31 is absolutely impossible
with wideband decoders because one either has 'unwanted' signals
pumping the AGC or creating IMD in the receiver if the AGC is
disabled."

This is really true, and should be tried for it to be fully appreciated. The
decoder in WL is way superior to any of those programs that offer wide band
decoding.

However, there is possibly a way round the way some of you want to work.
Run WL in the usual way, but then use one of the programs offering
panaromaic decoding and you can easily see which signals are where. I am not
sure if running two programs from the same soundcard degrades the ability of
one of them, but I have not noticed anything here.
I have tried it with MultiPSK, and then clicking on the PANORAMIC button.
Also, with those panoramic decodes, you can easily spot the over-driven
signals, as they appear in multiple channels!

Whilst on the topic of PSK, why are so many folk using all CAPITALS for
PSK31?
Tx'ing caps in PSK31 takes much longer, and is a total waste of time and
energy.

73 for now

Phil GU0SUP