[WriteLog] IC-756PRO3 can't split

Gary Senesac AL9A al9a at mtaonline.net
Fri Nov 23 03:16:54 EST 2007

Another serious deficiency with Icom's rig protocol is the inability to
clear the RIT back to zero from within WL.  Not a WL problem, it is owned by
Icom.  I believe the WL command to do this is %O, but Icom's do not
recognize this command.  Consequently, if the RIT is used it must be
manually cleared from the radio panel.  Often times my IC-756Pro doesn't
respond when the RIT Clear button is pressed.  I assume there is so much
info exchange going on between the radio and the computer the rig fails to
pick up on the press of the panel Clear button.  Often the only way to reset
the RIT to zero is to manually turn the RIT knob back to zero.  Certainly
not an attractive solution in the middle of a pile up!  Of course, another
solution would be for calling stations to properly tune to the transmitted
signal and thus eliminate the need to use RIT in the first place.  In last
week's SS SSB contest it was really stunning to hear how far off frequency
some stations were when they called.  Perhaps they were trying to skirt
around QRM from other stations, but I think many of them simply don't know
how to tune their receivers!

Gary AL9A