[WriteLog] New Install Help

Ed Gray W0SD w0sd at triotel.net
Tue Nov 27 23:23:09 EST 2007

Hi Jim,

I use a very  basic Rigblaster for the 10 meter contest so I can use
wavefiles.  For me in Writelog under port settings I have to have All
Mode PTT on cw Port R1 checked.  Under CW PTT I have none checked.  I
have to have my rigblaster switch in a certain position or the rig keys
up as you describe.  Since you have a different Rigblaster this may be
of no help.

IMHO as contesters most of us are blessed with two hands which limits
what we can do with the mouse as our hands are tied up doing other
things.  Also in most cases using a mouse takes more time than a F key.
When in a contest we have one or two radios to operate,  sometimes a CW
key,  sometimes S02R controlling,  antenna switching,  rotor switching.
and some typing and other things.  It takes a split second to hit an F
key.  One can have a cheat sheet right above the F keys on the keyboard
but you soon should have them memorized.  I guarentee this is faster
than finding the mouse,  getting the cursor where it should be and clicking.

We are consistantly in the top 10 nation wide and have some first place
finishes nationwide in HP, single and multi-op and we use the mouse as
little as possible during a contest.  The one exception is the RTTY
contest where we click on a call which we find superior to typing it
in.  Writelog is a great RTTY Contest program and a good HF and VHF
contest program.  I also have used Writelog from Ghana,  St. Paul
Island,  and a number of other DX Locations.  Some of these were
operating 40 hours without sleep. For me simple is best!

Again IMHO there have been a lot of requests and a lot of things done in
Writelog and other programs that are bells and whistles to try and make
some people happy but for the serious contester it is all about speed
and simplicity and these things just make the these programs more
complicated and get in the way.  When you have been operating for hours
on end and can hardly see straight you need "SIMPLE".  Things I never
see mentioned that Writelog has that are critical to the serious
contester are a rate calculation, super check,  multiplier list, quick
editing as we all make a few mistakes when entering. good SO2R control
and safe keeping of the logs and things like this.  The bottom line is a
good contest logging program that does the essentials as simply and as
fast as possible to me seems the best.

Jim there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you ask for and if a lot
of people ask I am sure you will get it.  The more of that stuff you
have to mess with the slower you will be and those that use the "KISS"
principle will be the winners.  IMHO serious contesting is all about a
few seconds here and a few seconds there and the software being able to
help you combat fatigue and keeping it simple.  Time and time agan at
the end of the contest after many hundreds of qso's the difference
between two or three people can be less than 10 qsos that is why IMHO
the simple essentials are best!

73, Ed W0SD