[WriteLog] Problem w/W2K and WL10.63 install

k0bx at arrl.net k0bx at arrl.net
Wed Sep 26 15:40:20 EDT 2007

Before you guys go off in the wrong direction, let me
explain the problem with upgrading W2K to SP4.

Microsoft has a 'Single/Express' update for
Windows2000.  It has you download a 500K file and run
it while connected to the internet and then it will
look and see what files you need and download them.
But at 33K dialup this would take forever for 4
machines as you cannot save the download.

The have another download for use on a network.  This
full install is something like 500 meg.  The idea is
to put it on a server and let all the machines
download from it.

Our little lan at our trailer, 4 pcs connected to a
'switch' can do this.  I have already download the
full SP4 to a CD and when I get time I will put it on
one of the machines and have the others install from
it.  But the PC's in our shack are only used for
contesting and use Writelog.  Other than a few
programs that came with Windows, there is no other
software on them.  So as long as WL works, there is no
need for a lot of work keeping up the operation
system.

It is almost easier to request newer machines coming
out of service than upgrading the software.

But I do want to thank everyone for the help.  But the
problem is solved and time to get ready for CQWWRTTY.

Joe K0BX