[WriteLog] Color me "confused" abt ARRL Inter. DX Contest, CW

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Tue Feb 19 20:39:49 EST 2008

> Since I'm in AK,...I am ...considered DX.  My field
> entries include CALL, RCV and QTH.  Why QTH instead of STATE is beyond me!

Have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49th_parallel_north
and you will see that north of the 49th parallel (and elsewhere), there are
in addition to
the great state of AK, other non-DX participants in the ARRL DX who don't
call their
locations "states". I thought QTH would be politically correct.

That wikepedia entry also has an interesting photo of the border from
Waterton Lake, which I consider to be one of the most beautiful places on
the planet. (Just don't get in the path of the grizzlies.)

Wayne, W5XD