[WriteLog] ICOM CIV

Joe K8FC k8fc at k8fc.com
Wed Jan 30 18:00:03 EST 2008

Speaking of USB ports, if you have been building up a list of unused comm.
ports because of Bluetooth virtual port assignments or other virtual port
software adding ports which are not being used there is no apparent easy way
to remove these.

Here is a little tip to help identify and remove them.

First let's identify them.

1.  Open a command window. (Left click on the Start menu -> run -> cmd)
2. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" without the quotes at the
command line then press enter.
3.  Type "devmgmt.msc" without the quotes at the command line then enter.
4.  Under the "View" menu click on "Show hidden devices"
5. Navigate to "Ports (COM & LPT)" and there should be many more devices
listed than normal.

2nd Remove them

You can now right click on any port not needed and simply "uninstall" them.

You can also have the ability to show non-present devices on a permanent
basis by setting an environment variable that will have the device manager
show the non present devices as a normal function.

Right click on "My Computer" , click >properties->advanced->environment
variables->system variables new button.
Variable name = DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES
Varable value = 1

This will make it permanent.

Now at any time you can right click on "My Computer"
properties->hardware->device manager button-> view -> show hidden devices.
Now you can delete them at will.

73's

K8FC