[WriteLog] Troubling info

Charles Morrison cfmorris at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 1 19:04:52 EDT 2008

> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:28:39 -0500
> From: "Bill Parry" <bparry at rgv.rr.com>
> Subject: [WriteLog] Troubling info
> To: <writelog at contesting.com>
>
> Is the problem that they have better service, does the software have more
or
> better bells and whistles, is the software more user friendly. What do
they
> have that we don't?

You want interesting?  Look at Paolo's summary in CQ this month from WPX
RTTY.  MixW beat out Writelog for second place as the most logs.  Its not
even a contest logging program.

So to answer your question, in a way yes.  N1MM's best feature was that it
was free.  While apparently Wayne has to shoulder the burden of development
of Writelog alone, N1MM is maintained by a team.  That team is extremely
accessible, and receptive to requests if they are deemed worthy.  It seems
as though during the time period in question, N1MM managed to entice enough
people to try it and coupled with Writelog's lack of development, enough
people stayed.  It also has a few of the often requested features still not
available in Writelog.  Auto enter/exchange/qrz, Sprint Tu/CQ automation, a
built in free Parallel port driver for LPT CW, to name a few.

I think WinTest rode in on the heels of K3LR's promotion.  Its lack of
support of some contests belies its superiority as a contest program.  Sure
is pretty though.

All programs are going to have their quirks.  Which program you're most
familiar with is going to be the one you're most successful with.  N1MM has
some oddities as does Writelog's ridiculously ever growing ini file section.
Its your knowledge of the quirks that make you successful with what you use.
Keep in mind though, that we've seen a nice resurgence is development
releases of WL and hopefully some of the lingering requests for features
will begin to be addressed.

As long as the program is developed, and you're successful with it, I
wouldn't worry about what everyone else is using, use the one that you're
most comfortable with.  I'm sticking with Writelog.

Charlie
KI5XP