[WriteLog] Troubling info

Georgens, Tom Tom.Georgens at netapp.com
Wed Jul 2 12:25:18 EDT 2008

I have been an enthusiastic supporter of Writelog for years and have
made about 150K single op Q's in contests without ever losing a log
entry.   I also generally find it easy to use and painless to set up.

At a recent NCCC meeting I presented the benefits of Writelog with my
one concern being the lack of recent innovation. This is no complaint
about Wayne, it is entirely up to him if he wants to continue investing
his time developing the program.  I certainly have received my money's
worth over the years.  I should add that Wayne has been very responsive
to bugs and anomalies I have found and has issued me custom releases of
the code.

My summer project is a redesign of the control box that automates all
aspects of my SO2R station.  The new one will be more flexible and will
be programmable.  The old box is very Writelog-centric and the new model
will be logging software independent.

The new design notwithstanding, I really want to stay with Writelog
since I know it, and it has been problem free.  As long as we are adding
wish list items, here are mine

1. Support for WinKey2 in SO2R mode
2. Support for WinTest N+1 mode.  During QSO's, I find myself typing all
different permutations of calls if I am not sure.  On phone, I find that
about a third of my busted calls are Q's where I say the correct
callsign but type it in wrong.
3. A check partial window for the non active radio.  When typing a call
into the entry window for the active radio, in addition to the usual SCP
window for the current radio, it would be great to also have a check
partial window to look up the callsign partial for the band on the
non-active radio.  This would save a ton of typing and window changing
when tuning for stations on the second radio.  Right now, you have to
change entry windows before entering the call, or you need to type the
whole call to see if it shows up in the check country window.  It would
be much better to do the SCP and CP calculations for the bands of both
radios at once.
4. Logging QSO's without having to first tab to the exchange field if
the exchange is already known.  This sounds trivial but, when I am
extremely fatigued, this drives me crazy
5. The MUF predictor similar to WinTest.
6. Real-time notification of suspect zones (Not allowing logging of
zones inconsistent with callsign without prompting for confirmation)

Writelog has been a fine product for me.  I hope Wayne continues to
enhance it.  If he does not, I understand and wish him well.  I will
just have to find something else to use.

73, Tom W2SC 8P1A 8P5A