[WriteLog] Using MMTTY with WriteLog

Charles Morrison cfmorris at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 3 18:55:25 EST 2008

> Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:00:17 -0500
> From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists at microham-usa.com>
> Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Using MMTTY with WriteLog
> To: "'Rick Lindquist'" <n1rl at earthlink.net>,	"'Don Hill AA5AU'"
> 	<aa5au at bellsouth.net>, <writelog at contesting.com>
>
> Rick,
>
> > Thanks again. Yes, I'm aware that the MMTTY engine does not
> > use EXTFSK, and the rest of what you say makes sense.
>
> Don is correct.  It appears that the "Software generated FSK"
> settings do work with MMTTY at least it does with both a FTDI
> chip based USB -> serial converter and microHAM USB Interface
> II.
>
> If you have MMTTY running with EXTFSK:
>    1) note which lines you are using for data and PTT (data
>       should be TxD or DTR and PTT should be RTS).
>    2) Install the MMTTY Plug-in if you have not done so.
>    3) Start WriteLog
>    4) Select FSK on the radio (or manually in the entry
>       window)
>    5) Open a RTTY Window
>    6) On the Ports menu, select the port you were using for
>       EXTFSK.  Select either of the "Software Generated
>       FSK" choices depending on the line you used for data
>       and answer "Yes"
>
> This should get you running with the plug-in and a USB port.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Curiously Joe, while working with Rick on the phone, I noticed a peculiar
thing.  I can NOT get the MicroKeyer to work with EXTFSK.  Now, this is NOT
a problem, at least not for regular use.  I've always used standalone MMTTY
with a virtual port for PTT and FSK selected and it works fine with Speed
Limiting set on.  This has always worked fine.  When choosing EXTFSK, PTT is
correctly exerted on the rig, but FSK is not generated.  Changing back to
the same port (3) works fine with both PTT and FSK.  Was not a problem
except for trying to help Rick troubleshoot.

Charlie
KI5XP