[WriteLog] Winkey USB CW keyer and WL?

Kelly Johnson n6kj.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 14:20:01 EDT 2008

Sounds similar to my problem.  No, you shouldn't need a newer version
of WriteLog.

My problem is that my WKUSB works fine with WriteLog on my desktop.  I
have yet to get it to work with my laptop in spite of the fact that
the test programs that come with WKUSB work fine with it on the
laptop.  Only WriteLog doesn't work.

I suspect you may have a similar problem to mine.

I am suspecting a problem with manually changing the port ID.  Windows
assigned a really high port number for WKUSB when the driver was
installed.  It was like 20 something or 30 something.  I manually
changed it to COM2 since that port number was free.  It didn't work.
Someone suggested to me that COM ports <=2 or <=4 can't be use, but I
have not confirmed or denied that claim.  I am thinking of modifying
the Windows registry so that it will assign COM ports start at 5 or
something and then let the driver be installed directly to a usable
COM port number instead of a really big number.  I don't think
WriteLog can handle those really high COM port numbers, but I could be
wrong.  Anyone know for sure?

Good luck.  I still don't have mine working.