[WriteLog] Cannot Get Com 6 and Com 7 To Be Recognized

Barry Middlebrook ve6tn at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 2 15:52:15 PDT 2009

I purchase Writelog to give it a try for contesting as VE6SV has been using
it for years so I wanted to get some practice and experience with it.

I cannot get it to recognize my com port devices.

My PC is a custom built-up unit running XP.

- Com 1,2 ports are on the mother board
- Separate Card PCI Bus Lava card Com 3 and 4
- RIGblaster duo unit form West Mountain Radio connected via USB that shows
up as Com 5 and Com 6 for the two radio interfaces

Within my station I use Com 3 for my rotator and Com 6 and 7 for my two
Radio's, an IC-7000 and IC-775DSP(Being replaced with a new IC-7600
shortly).  I only have the IC-7000 connected up right now to Com 6.

The Writelog Rig Setup screen only shows ports Com 1 through Com 4.  I
modified the /Windows/writelog.ini file to have the lines

[Rigs]
CommSlot1=5
CommSlot2=6

But this seems to have made no difference.

It also doesn't look like my Com 3 Yaesu with Rotor EZ interface is NOT
being recognized either, selecting Com 3 and DCU for the options.

I am stumped.  My system works well as-is with N1MM, Logger32 and YPLog.
Within my System Configuration all of the ports are recognized in the
windows Control Panel System Hardware Configuration Device Manager and all
look OK.

I use all of the ports for other interfaces and am very adept at dealing
with computer hardware and software configuration, but I have to admit that
I am stumped as to why I cannot get Writelog to be configured to recognize
my serial ports.

I am going to give one last try to see if someone out there has a workable
solution or I will simply shelve Writelog and use another.  It will have
been a waste of good money though and I really wanted to give it a sincere
contesting try here at my station!

Any suggestions?

Barry Middlebrook, P.Eng
VE6TN

RAC Director, Alberta, Northwest Territories and Nunavut
Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC)

Amateur Radio . . . a community resource!
 <http://www.mts.net/~warc/hamfest/>