[WriteLog] Cannot get sound card to work with any digital apps

Hsu, Aaron (NBC Universal) aaron.hsu at nbcuni.com
Tue Feb 3 21:03:52 EST 2009

>>> W6SA wrote:
Just seems to be this computer as my laptop seems to be OK with the 32 bit Vista.  All apps can access the soundcard on the laptop.  Maybe 64 bit Vista has some issues?

>>> My reply:

Hi Walt,

There are some fundamental differences between 32-bit and 64-bit OS'.  A similar question about 32-bit vs 64-bit Windows came up recently on the Ham-Computers reflector and I posted a reply.  Since it's somewhat relevant, I'm re-posting it here.  A key difference is the way device drivers are allowed to interact with the kernel.  Another is that some apps may need to be re-compiled with a 64-bit compiler to work properly in x64.  Also, there is no 16-bit application support in x64 - if any apps use 16-bit code, they won't work.

Unfortunately, many vendors are selling Windows x64 without informing consumers about the caveats of the 64-bit OS.  Yes, it's forward looking, but for many, backwards compatibility is more important.  Many are selling x64 primarily based on the fact that you can access more than 4GB.  Although true, most people really don't even need more than 2GB (or even 1GB).  It's all in the marketing.

Anyways, I hope this info is useful.

73,

  - Aaron, NN6O