[WriteLog] K1EL Winkeyer USB Problems

jmaass at k8nd.com jmaass at k8nd.com
Fri Nov 20 12:51:37 PST 2009

I am tracking down a problem at PJ2T. We have used Winkeyer USB devices with Writelog for several years, and suddenly cannot get the Winkeyers to work. This is an issue on three stations where they worked previously: not an initial install problem.

In the WKtest utility, when the "Open Wk" button is clicked, the respose is "WK Fal: no echo." In writelog, the CW speed box says "Timeout".  The Winkeyer is recognized by Wiindows as a "USB Serial Port" when plugged in.  Yes, the correct port is slected for each (COM3 in this case).  This is on two XP machines and one Win98SE2 machine, all of which had used the Winkeyers previously without problem.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the FTDI drivers (twice) on one of the PCs last night, reinstalling using the executable for that purpose downloaded from K1EL.com in the Winkeyer CD archive. No joy.

Since the last time the were used successfully, copies of Win-Test were installed to each of the PCs at the stations. We don't know that this is a possible cause, but the timeline suggests that it (or some change made coincident with it) may be.

Has anyone exoperienced something similar? Any ideas?

I'd really rather be on-the-air!

73,  PJ2/K8ND ("Curacao Jeff")