[WriteLog] Single Channel USB / Serial Converter for RTTY?

Aldewey at aol.com Aldewey at aol.com
Sat Oct 17 19:38:36 PDT 2009

In a message dated 10/13/2009 12:27:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
jim at w8wts.com writes:

Hi Rick,

I know that I've used it with WriteLog for DTR CW, RTS PTT, 45 baud RTTY,
and TXD/RXD rig control of my FT-1KMP.  I've also used it with other
programs like DigiPan, VE3SUN DX Monitor, Omni-Rig, and AirMail (to talk to
a pactor TNC).

As far as the drivers go, I never paid any attention.  I threw out the CDROM
that came with the adapter and downloaded the latest driver installer .exe
from the Keyspan web site.

Jim;

I went ahead and ordered one of the Keyspan Converters and it arrived today
but still no luck with MMTTY ( and, thus, Writelog).  It actually works a
little better than some of the others in that it doesn't crash (like the SIIG
PCI board does on my system) and it at least tries to key the FSK line.
But all it does it diddle the tones back and forth no matter what message I am
sending it.  I tried all four of the polling methods under the USB button.
It makes a difference but none of them are right.  I also loaded MMTTY and
the Keyspan drivers on my XP laptop and got the same result.

So my situation is:

a)  Built in COM1 works in all cases with MMTTY.

b)  SIIG PCI 4 port board works for Rig Control but crashes with MMTTY.

c)  Keyspan Converter keys FSK but not correctly.

I wonder if you could go into Control Panel and tell me what driver you are
using?  I show Verison 3.7.0.2 dated 9/20/2007.  Also, you don't
specifically mention MMTTY above.  Have you sucessfully used it with MMTTY (or the
MMTTY plug-in for Writelog)?

73,

Al, K0AD