[WriteLog] RE; Pirate in CQWPX RTTY Contest

tony dicenzo tonydicenzo at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 12:14:41 PST 2010

My good friend KK1X raises a good question. While I agree it is essential to try to get a QSO right when making the QSO on the air, there are times when a correction to a log after a contest is appropriate, at least in my opinion.

Here's an example:

I made a QSO with a German station in CQ WPX RTTY and duly logged his report to me, serial number 485.  After the contest, he sent me an email, saying that saying he should have sent 486, and would I update my log so he can also correct his. I did, and thus he was able to correct his log. I copied and logged what was sent, in the spirit of contesting, as did he. He found his error, which was clerical, and the subsequent correction to our logs does not alter either scores.

It is so easy to make a mistake in sending a report or copy wrong when the bands are crowded or propagation conditions poor. If someone wants to follow up on an error and it doesn't affect the score they should be allowed to do it, even applauded for making the effort. After all, this is a hobby and good will should prevail.

73.
Tony
KX1G